Extending the dict class

chosechu chosechu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 10:08:53 EDT 2006

Tim N. van der Leeuw wrote:
> Anyways, modifiying SOAPpy might not be a bad idea: submit your changes
> to the project, and you can write on your CV that you have contributed
> to open-source projects! ;-)

Been there, done that. Don't worry, my contributions
to open-source projects is largely positive (though under
different aliases).

About SOAPpy: the author mentions something about
ordering (or not) parameters in the XML request. Quoting:

  "There is an incompatibility with the way that Python and
  SOAP handle method arguments: SOAP requires that
  all arguments have names and that they are presented
  in the same order as the method signature. [...]"

See SOAPpy/docs/MethodParameterNaming.txt for more
details.

> I do hope for you that you will find something better to do than
> pushing template-instances down a socket-hole.

It is not the first time I end up implementing some kind of
support for ASCII-based protocols with templatized strings
You would be surprised how easy it is to maintain when
the emitter is required to be as stable as possible. Just
have to be aware that you have a potential maintenance
nightmare somewhere out there.