programming with Python 3000 in mind

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Wed Aug 16 00:54:35 EDT 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:16:27 -0700, beliavsky wrote:

> The current beta version of Python is 2.5 . How can a Python programmer
> minimize the number of changes that will be needed to run his code in
> Python 3000? In general, he should know what is being removed from
> Python 3000 and if possible use the "modern" analogs in Python.

In general, you can't, as Python 3000 hasn't been nailed down yet.

You shouldn't be asking "How do I write for a language that doesn't exist
yet?" but instead should ask:

(1) How far away is Python 3000?

Years away, although not that many years. Three? Four?

(2) Will there be automated tools for converting source code from Python 2
to Python 3000?

Almost certainly.

(3) Once Python 3000 is released, will Python 2 still be supported and if
so, for how long?

I'm sure there will be a nice long transition period, and if the Python
developers don't want to support Python 2, it will be a wonderful
opportunity for some commercial operation to charge for support.

--
Steven D'Aprano