How ahead are you guys in the (Python) real world?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Aug 30 10:54:40 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-30, John Salerno <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Ray wrote:
>
>> However I wonder, how fast are you guys moving from version to version
>> at work?
>
> Interesting question. Just as a curious follow-up (not being
> someone who works in the programming world), why does it take
> so long to move to the latest version,

Two reasons:

   1) "If it ain't broke, don't f*** with it."

   2) There's always something else that is broke.

> especially when there aren't (I don't think) any changes that
> would break existing code,

After doing a few sowftware upgrades you quickly learn to
never, ever believe that.  The best working hypothesis is that
upgrading will break things.  So the questions when considering
an upgrade are:

  1)  Is there a new feature I want?

  2)  Is that feature worth fixing the update breaking?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  CALIFORNIA is where
                                  at               people from IOWA or NEW