Job Jar

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 19:55:06 EDT 2006

Hi there Steve

D wrote:
> (...) Basically, I'd like to
> create a web-based "job jar", that users in my office can access in
> order to view, and "take ownership" of, misc. office tasks.

I've seen this kind of feature working in Trac [1], but what you really
want is task management software. Of the alternatives already
mentioned, roundup is IMHO the most interesting given your request.

Just yesterday I found  TaskJuggler[2] (can't remember how) but the
features sound like what you want.
    *  Manages tasks, resources and costs
    * Automatic resource leveling, tasks conflict resolutions, and task
filtering
    * Project tracking and status reporting
    * Flexible working hours and vacation handling

This is pretty much "what this kind of software does", not "what
taskjuggler does" :)
There are hundreds of task managers out there worth a check.

Just as examples of the diversity:
* I use Planner [3], which is stand-alone and not so feature-rich,
besides being too focused at central management IMHO. TaskCoach [4]
(wxPython-based) seems pretty similar.

* BaseCamp [5] is an online service, paid, new-ish and looks cool (has
Python bindings)

* dotProject [6] (PHP)  looked cool when I tried it... a couple of
years ago and before knowing any alternative

In Python, faces [7] is the best match I know for your request (take a
look at http://faces.homeip.net/examples.html). Tiny's Enterprise
Resource Planning [8] might be good for you too.

If you have time for that, consider evaluating some projects from:
Freshmeat Office/Scheduling: http://freshmeat.net/browse/130/
Freshmeat Office/Groupware: http://freshmeat.net/browse/917/
SF Office/Scheduling:
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=130
SF Project Management:
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=607

Wishing you to make a wise choice and enjoy it,
Daniel

[1] http://willbarton.com/code/tracgantt
[2] http://www.taskjuggler.org/
[3] http://live.gnome.org/Planner