seaching a list...

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu Aug 10 21:04:00 EDT 2006

bruce wrote:
> hi larry...
>
> thanks for the reply...
>
> the issue i'm having is that i'm going to have to compare multiple rows of
> information to the information in the db. so essentially i'd have to do a
> hit to the db, for each row of information i want to compare if i did it
> your way... (which was what i had thought about)
>
> the issue of doing the string/list compare/search is that i can get
> everything from the db with one call... i can then iterate through memory
> for each of my row information that i'm searching to see if it exists in the
> db...
>
> memory searches should be faster than the network overhead, and the
> associated multiple db calls...

(1) Don't top-post.
(2) Do as asked: supply some pseudo-code for comparing a row of query
information with a row extracted from your database -- whether you are
comparing on one/some/all columns and what type of comparison are vital
pieces of information. How many query rows? How many database rows?