Pros/Cons of Turbogears/Rails?

Sam Smoot ssmoot at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 11:30:17 EDT 2006

fuzzylollipop wrote:
> uh, no, Python predates Ruby by a good bit
> Rails might be "older" than Turbogears but it still JUST went 1.0
> officially.

Wow that's a lot of FUD, especially since you're beating up on Rails
for it's docs and maturity, when I doubt (but couldn't prove)
turbogears comes close.

Lets be specific:

12/13/05: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/3303

> It can't be called "mature' by any defintition.

It's easy to deploy a site without running into bugs as long as you're
not dealing with any edge-cases. As far as OSS solutions go, that
pretty well fits my definition of "mature". So there's one.

> Rails has no documentation, period. The authors acknowledge this
> openly.

Why you would just talk out of your ass like this escapes me.

http://api.rubyonrails.org (Look at any of the :Base classes for
overviews)
http://rubydoc.org (For basic Ruby help)
http://rails.techno-weenie.net/ (Help with the lesser known areas of
RoR, and tips & tricks)
http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/tags/rails (Snippets other people have
found useful)
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Howtos (Lots of "Getting
Started" type how-tos)
http://caboo.se (A blog aggregation of some of the committer's )

Then again, you could just google for "rails documentation" (here's a
link:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=rails+documentation&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
)

And the top link will take you to a page on the Wiki that describes all
of this. Until you want to start writing plugins and such, this
documentation pretty much fits the bill. Could there be more? Yes. Is
it perfect? Obviously not. Is finding documentation going to be a
problem for anyone willing to spend a few minutes with Google or on IRC
asking questions if you're genuinely trying? I seriously doubt it.

> again, Ruby can't be considered 'mature' by any definition.

It seems like you're the one confusing things now. Ruby is obviously a
pretty mature language. There are definite feature holes (encoding
aware Strings, native Threads), but the community, documentation,
tutorials (by far the best of any language I've learned), are all
pretty mature.

Is Rails mature? Compared to JSP? Probably not... compared to
TurboGears? (The entire point of this topic, which you conveniently
side-step by managing to not mention it once) Easily.

So if you decide to reply, might I suggest spending a few minutes with
Google to get your facts straight next time? Oh, and keeping an eye on
the actual topic might be a good idea too.