Learning Python

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 14:58:16 EDT 2006

Tal Einat wrote:
> Duncan Booth wrote:
> > JAG CHAN wrote:
> >
> > > Whenever I try to open IDLE, my zone firewall tells me pythonw.exe is
> > > trying to access the trusted zone.
> > > Whenever I try to open new IDLE window I get the following message:
> > > "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.Either IDLE can't start a
> > > subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
> > > I will be grateful if you kindly suggest a way out, then, I won't have
> > > to install another editor.
> >
> > You need to configure your firewall to permit IDLE to make the connection.
> > Most firewall software when it warns you will give you the option of
> > permitting this:
> >
> > e.g. Windows Firewall says "To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall
> > has blocked some features of this program. Do you want to keep blocking
> > this program?" with options "Keep Blocking", "Unblock", and "Ask me later".
> > All you have to do is click "Unblock" and IDLE will work.
>
> IDLE doesn't connect to the internet, but it uses a socket interface to
> communicate between two different processes. Some security software
> falsely recognizes this as an attempt to connect to the internet,
> although it is not a security hazard at all.
>

> Another solution is to run IDLE with the -n flag, which will cause it
> to run in one process (instead of two) and not create a socket. For the
> most part you will not notice a difference in IDLE's behavior when
> running it this way.
>
> On windows you can create a shortcut to idle.bat and add -n at the end
> of the "target" entry. When running IDLE with -n, you should see "====
> No Subprocess ====" on one of the first lines of the Shell window.
>

> You probably have your Windows security settings set quite high,
> usually I don't see this on Windows systems with default settings.

That's good to know (about the -n switch). On my computer
at work, IDLE normally works ok, but if I'm running a complicated
query on MS-Access (the kind that takes a half hour to complete)
I can't run IDLE because of the socket problem.

Why would that be? It's obviously not a security settings or
firewall problem. Is the request for a socket timing out due
to cpu load?