text editor suggestion?

Fri Aug 18 21:20:47 EDT 2006

Ok, I know it's been asked a million times, but I have a more specific
question so hopefully this won't be just the same old post. I've tried a
few different editors, and I really like UltraEdit, but it's
Windows-only and I'm working more on Linux nowadays.

Here are my criteria:

1. syntax highlighting (highly customizable)
2. auto/smart indenting
3. ability to run script
4. light-weight text editor, not an IDE
5. cross-platform (not really necessary, but nice)

That's pretty much all I need. It's nice when you can customize a bunch
of other stuff too, but those are the most important.

I've tried vim, but I really don't feel like taking the time to learn
how to use it, given that I just like to casually program (not to
mention that I prefer to use the mouse when navigating a document
sometimes).

I also just started using Scite, and I really like it, except I find its
syntax highlighting to be very inflexible. You aren't able to define
your own groups of words -- you have to use what's given, basically. One
thing I like about UltraEdit is that you simply define as many groups of
keywords as you want and then assign a style to each one. Scite has a
very strange and rigid method of highlighting.

So hopefully some of you might have some suggestions. My requirements
are minimal, but I'm still not happy with the syntax highlighting I'm
seeing in a lot of editors out there.