Programming newbie coming from Ruby: a few Python questions

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Aug 3 00:41:04 EDT 2006

In article <1154460978.604511.209260 at 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
crystalattice <crystalattice at gmail.com> wrote:

>The best book I've found for "teaching" you the language is from Deitel
>and Deitel:  Python, How to Program.  It's outdated in that is uses
>Python 2.2 but the vast majority of concepts still apply; it does
>mention when certain features are deprecated so you shouldn't have a
>problem.

The main problem with the Deitel book is that it does not, in fact,
teach you how to program in Python.  Instead, it teaches you how to
program in Java using Python.  (That's a little bit of an overstatement,
admittedly, but not much of one.)  There is also lots of incorrect
information.

definition, not smart enough to debug it."  --Brian W. Kernighan