Mega Newbie Questions: Probably FAQs

Zeph zeph_zhang at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 15:25:48 EDT 2006

I'm pretty well of a mind to pick up Python. I like it because it seems
to have a fair degree of functionality and is accessible to someone
without a PhD in computer sciences. This is my second day of
investigation, and I'm astounded by the huge ecosystem that surrounds
it. I have a number of questions that probably should be on a FAQ, but I
haven't found them. I'll explain my goals and needs, perhaps someone
here will have some recommendations

1) I want to write high-level apps that are db connected, networkable
and cross-platform: Linux, Mac OSX, Windows. I know there are apps that
can convert to Linux or Windows as stand-alone executables, is there
also one that will permit me to convert to MacOSX?

1b) Are these executable completely free from the need of the average
user needing to install Python. Basically, I want to write and sell
"compiled" apps.

2) I want a real and native GUI. wxPython or PyQT? My concerns are about
cross-platform and responsiveness of GUI. I suspect that this will be
one of the gravest issues for the long run.

3) Can someone recommend a good framework that will enable me to keep
things well sorted out, and easy to maintain as my apps grow? (I'm
considering MVC, but have no idea how to apply it until I've gone beyond
"Hello World").

4) There are a lot of books and tutorials out there, but they are of the
proof-of-concept type. Specifically, a tutorial might teach me Hello
World, but not really care about the framework, because it's a very
simple item, and the point is simply to get me coding. I'd like to start
off with an established, tested and reputable system whose habits I can
ingrain from day one, rather than figure it out later. Can someone
recommend a good book, or your favourite tutorials? Perhaps even one
that assumes MVC as the framework?

5) Following the above, is there a framework that assumes tcp/ip udp
networking, database connectivity? My first app will be in large part a
networkable database type app where two or more users can share the same
file concurrently.

6) Since I've been a web-developer for a long time (over 10 years), I
never properly learned OOP. Recommended tutorials?

7) I'm developing on WinXP and for the IDE, I'm considering
theKompany.com's BlackAdder, Komodo or Eclipse. Any very strong
negatives in regards to either of these?

8) Can anyone speak to the point, or point out a useful comparison
between Python and RealBasic?

Thanks.