Python web service ...

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 30 06:46:26 EDT 2006

NicolasG wrote (top-posting, which is very naughty ...):
>>At Monday 28/8/2006 20:45, Nicolas G wrote:
>>

>>>If I want to run my program as a web service I need to setup a
>>>webserver , am I right ?
>>>Whars that difference ? can a webservice be run without a webserver ?
>>
>>Well, a webservice uses HTTP as its transport protocol, so you need
>>an HTTP server, but you don't have to use a full-blown web server to
>>implement it. SimpleHTTPServer
>>
>> in the standard library may be enough.
>>
 > You mean to use only python HTTP socket library ?
 > I never had use sockets before, it has a big learning curve ?
 > Gabriel Genellina wrote:

He's actually suggesting you use the SimpleHTTPServer library, which
itself uses the socket library. All you really need to do is subclass
the main clas defining your own (?) handle_request() (?) method.

This server is not design for industrial-strength networking but it's
fine if you need either a low-volume server or something to experiment with.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119