Allowing ref counting to close file items bad style?

Dan bounces at foo.org
Thu Aug 31 19:48:49 EDT 2006

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Dan <bounces at foo.org> wrote:
>> Is my data safer if I explicitly close, like this?:
>>      fileptr = open("the.file", "w")
>>      foo_obj.write(fileptr)
>>      fileptr.close()
>
> Have you ever experienced a problem caused by not explicitly closing
> your file handles?

No.  If I had, I wouldn't have asked the question.  It seems to work,
but can I really count on it?

I am a sample of one (In that happy place that Brooks described as
quadrant 1, where a person writes programs for himself to be run on his
own computer.  Or perhaps to be run by a handful of co-workers.)  Such a
small sample isn't statistically significant; a 100% success rate
doesn't mean much.  I've also never had a burned CD go bad, but I know
that they do.

/Dan

--
dedded att verizon dott net