What would be the best way to run python client in the background

gel geli at tasmail.com
Mon Aug 21 00:06:51 EDT 2006

Ravi Teja wrote:

> gel wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have written a python client server app that keeps an eye on
> > processes starting and ending on a client and makes decision on what to
> > do based on information from the server end.  I want to run the client
> > end of the app more or less invisibly (no console) on the XP clients
> > when ever a users logs on.  What would be the best way to get this
> > done?  A bit more info on the purpose of the app... it is to act as a
> > licence server, where we have a limited number of licences for software
> > and the software installed on all PCs.  The app will only allow a pre
> > defined number of clients to run the software at any one time.
>
> To run a python script without a console - use *.pyw extension.
>
> But from what you stated you perhaps don't want to do this. Whether you
> deploy this check as a service (through py2exe for example) or a
> straight script, the users may simply kill it if they want to bypass
> the check. Plus it is not common to use a seperate persistant process
> to check for licenses. A better way is to incorporate the check
> directly into the process of the software.

The reason for the a seperate persistant check is because it will be
used to enable software to be installed in whole lab of PCs but only
allow a predifined number to run the software at any time one time.
And then when a user stop using the software a licence will become
available to for someone else on the same or another PC to use the
software.  The reason that the process of the software being check is
not used is because it will be used for software written by other
people.  I hope this makes what and why a little clearer.  Let me know
if you think that I have misunderstoood you.