technique to enter text using a mobile phone keypad (T9 dictionary-based disambiguation)

Petr Jakeš petr.jakes at tpc.cz
Tue Aug 8 18:45:46 EDT 2006

I have a standard 12-key mobile phone keypad connected to my Linux
machine as a I2C peripheral. I would like to write a code which allows
the text entry to the computer using this keypad (something like T9 on
the mobile phones)

According to the http://www.yorku.ca/mack/uist01.html
dictionary-based disambiguation is coming in the mind.

With dictionary-based disambiguation, each key is pressed only once.
For example, to enter the, the user enters 8-4-3-0. The 0 key, for
SPACE, delimits words and terminates disambiguation of the preceding
keys. The key sequence 8-4-3 has 3 × 3 × 3 = 27 possible renderings
(see Figure 1). The system compares the possibilities to a dictionary
of words to guess the intended word.

I would like to ask some guru here to give me the direction which
technique (Python functionality) or which strategy to use to solve
this riddle.

Thanks for your advices and comments

Regards

Petr Jakes