do people really complain about significant whitespace?

Slawomir Nowaczyk slawomir.nowaczyk.847 at student.lu.se
Wed Aug 9 06:54:20 EDT 2006

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:47:57 -0700
Jason <tenax.raccoon at gmail.com> wrote:

#> It is annoying that certain communication channels do not respect
#> white-space.  I dislike using braces because I have to indicate my
#> intentions twice: once for the compiler and once for humans.

I must admit I do not get this "indicate intentions twice" argument,
even though I heard it a number of times now... It's not that braces
require more work or more typing or something, after all -- at least
not if one is using a decent editor.

Really, typing brace after function/if/etc should add newlines and
indent code as required -- automatically. Actually, for me, it is even
*less* typing in C and similar languages... I probably should teach my
Emacs to automatically add newline after colon in Python, just as it
does after a brace in C... As soon as I figure out how to deal with
dictionary literals. Hmmm.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk