Backup GMAIL Messages with Python

Gregory Piñero gregpinero at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 15:12:40 EDT 2006

I was wondering what methods you experts would reccomend for this task?

Here are the options I have come up with so far:

1. Build something with the poblib library
(http://docs.python.org/lib/module-poplib.html)
--Any pointers on doing this?  How to I get poplib to save messages in
a standard format I can
later import into Thunderbird, Outlook, etc?  (mbox?)

2. Use libgmail
--How stable is this package?  Does it just use screenscraping?

3. Call Fetchmail from command line?
--Does anyone know an easy way to do this?  All I found was a 6 page
tutorial! yikes!

Much thanks for any advice you might have.  I'm also open to options I
haven't thought of too.

--
Gregory Piñero
Chief Innovation Officer