Windows vs. Linux

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 4 13:04:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:47:59 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler <gelists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2006-08-01 12:31:01, Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Is that really true? From what I know, it's more like this:
>
> - Unix-type systems: '/'
> - Windows-type systems: '\'
> - Mac OS: ':'
> - OpenVMS: '.'
> - ...
>
> Maybe someone else can fill in some of the missing OSes.

AmigaDOS: '/'. (On the other hand, it didn't understand '.' and '..' without
third-party patches, and it didn't have the '/' directory.).

> It doesn't seem to
> look like Windows is the odd man out; it rather seems that every type of OS
> uses its own separator.

In the 1980s, MS-DOS /was/ an ugly bastard child; lots of other systems
existed that I have never heard about. As for what path separator they used
and why, I'm afraid you'd have to ask on alt.folklore.computers ...

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!