Is there an obvious way to do this in python?

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Fri Aug 4 06:53:53 EDT 2006

H J van Rooyen wrote:
>  "Bruno Desthuilliers" <onurb at xiludom.gro>wrote:
> | H J van Rooyen wrote:
(snip)
> | > so if Pyro is for 'moving the scripts around' - Then that is what I must
> look at
> | > very hard...
> |
> | It's not for "moving the scripts around", it's for remote objects - kind
> | of like Java's RMI, but, well, much more pythonic !-). Now the point is
> | that Python being very powerful when it comes to dynamism and
> | introspection, it should be possible to have a common client that
> | basically just knows how to connect to the application server (using
> | pyro). Once connected, the client asks the server for a set of objects
> | (forms, menus etc) and the corresponding data. These objects then use
> | the same mechanism to interact with the server. It's basically similar
> | to the interaction between a browser and a web app - in that the client
> | is potentially able to run any application sent by the server -, but
> | with much more  specialized client and app server and another protocol -
> | and no other language than Python.
> |

> This is getting more and more interesting - its not the simple minded mechanism
> I had in mind, but it will achieve the same thing, and it exists already

WARNING : Actually, the only thing that "exists already" is Pyro (and of
course Python...) - all the rest is just me thinking out loud, and I by
no mean garantee that what I describe above is viable or sensible or
even reasonably implementable.

> and I
> can imagine it to be a very powerful mechanism, if I understand you correctly -
> I am going to have to cry "time out!" to go and do some reading...

Indeed. And please don't hold it against me if it ends up being some
kind of Frankenstein's monster !-)

--
bruno desthuilliers