import

Bill Pursell bill.pursell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 14:12:38 EDT 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> 01 wrote:
> > Georg Brandl wrote:

> >> You can't import modules whose names have non-identifier names with
> >> plain "import". Or would you like "123" to refer to a module?
> >>
> >> If you have to do this (and I have a strong feeling that you haven't)
> >> use the built-in function __import__().
> >>
> > you have to name your program with the name mymodule,or something like
> > that when you use "import".  does python have a clear declaration on
> > how to name a module?
>
> A module name can be everything also usable as a Python identifier. This
> means that it contains only letters, digits and underscores and doesn't
> start with a digit.
>
> Running a file as the main file, using "python 123.py" works because
> Python then won't need to provide the file name as a name in the script.

On an almost totally unrelated note...(except that it definitely
belongs in a thread entitled "import")...

I've occasionally run into difficulty when I fail to include a she-bang
in my script.  If the first word of the script is import, which it
often is for quickly written scripts that contain an import line
before any doc string and that doesn't have "#!/usr/bin/env python",
bash doesn't report a syntax error.  Instead, it annoyingly
runs the ImageMagick command import, which dutifully sits
there waiting for a mouse click.  The first time this
happened, it took me a good 15 minutes to figure out
what was happening.  (The first instance was more subtle
than forgetting the she-bang, as I'd merely forgotten
the "bang" and the "#/usr/bin/env python"  looked pretty
good when I looked at the file.)

I'm just curious if anyone else has ever bumped into
that mistake.