#!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/bin/env python?

Tobias Brox tobias at stud.cs.uit.no
Wed Aug 9 04:47:00 EDT 2006

[Erik Max Francis
> How does that make sense?  `file` cannot possibly understand the
> semantics of files at that level, at least not without executing them.
> And that's exactly what you _don't_ want to do when you're using `file` ...

This is very off-topic, but if it's fairly common to begin tcl-scripts
as a /bin/sh-file with "exec tcl" at one of the first lines, I think
"file" ought to be able to recognize it.

"""exec" python is clearly an obscure hack not used by many, so I
don't see why "file" should ever recognize that :-)

--
Tobias Brox, 69°42'N, 18°57'E