Conway's Life Implementation

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Sun Aug 27 20:09:22 EDT 2006

"Putty" <jaysherby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I was going to write an implementation of John Conway's Life game
> using Python and Tk, but I soon found that Tk just didn't cut the
> mustard for memory usage, management, and the like for such a project,
> so I've found my best GUI bet for my project is wxPython and not
> pygame.

You might enjoy looking at Golly, an open source, cross-platform Life
app which uses Gosper's hashlife algorithm to allow the exploration of
patterns at huge scales and speeds:

   http://golly.sourceforge.net/

Golly's GUI is written in wxWidgets (C++, not wxPython) but we do
use Python as our scripting language:

   http://golly.sourceforge.net/Help/scripting.html

Andrew