text editor suggestion?

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 02:41:03 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:

> I'd really like to learn vim, but I spent days just trying to figure out
> how to get the syntax highlighting and indentation working, where these
> settings are and how to edit them, and it still doesn't work for me. It
> just feels so insurmountable that I can't even start working with it yet
> because I don't know how to tailor the settings.

FWIW I started to use vim 2 years ago, and hated every minute of it.
However, it was installed on every unix/linux box I have known, and so
I gradually learned the most common commands. Recently I have been
using gvim on windows, which comes pre-configured to syntax highlight
etc. It isn't very good at running the current buffer as far as I can
tell though, so I still have a command line open currently.

jEdit is also a very good editor with the same sort of feature set as
vim. Bit slower to load, but much more user freindly and a very
powerful editor core. With a few extra plugins (console and Jython
interpreter for example) it has all of the features you want, including
he ability to write macros in python. (Note vim is also customisable
using python).