Very weird behavior that's driving me crazy

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Wed Aug 16 03:10:02 EDT 2006

Hello,
I am experiencing a weird behavior that is driving me crazy. I have module
called Sensors containing, among other things:

class Manager:
    def getStatus(self):
        print "getStatus(self=%s)" % self
        return {"a": "b", "c": "d"}

and then I have another module called SensorSingleton that emulates the
hard-to-code-on-python singleton in this way:

manager = Manager()
print "manager=%s" % manager
def getStatus():
    print "getStatus()"
    return manager.getStatus()

and then in some other module, I import SensorSingleton and I do, among
other things:

    print SensorSingleton.getStatus()

and the output is more or less like this. First, the manager:

manager: <Sensor.Manager object at 0xb7b9efec>

ok, then

Manager.getStatus(self=<Sensor.Manager object at 0xb77cde8c>) =>
{"a": "b", "c": "d"}
None

None is the return of SensorSingleton.getStatus(), now, my questions are:

- Shouldn't the manager be the same in the first print and the second, that
is, the id is different, shouldn't it be the same ?
- What happened with all the output of SensorSingleton.getStatus() ? there's
no trace of it (but there's output of the method it calls).
- Why doesn't the SensorSingleton.getStatus() return the return value of
manager.getStatus(), it's a very straight forward call to it and return it.

Thank you.
--
Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> (http://pupeno.com)