NumPy 1.0b4 now available

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 19:03:51 EDT 2006

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> The 4th beta release of NumPy 1.0 has just been made available.
>
> NumPy 1.0 represents the culmination of over 18 months of work to unify
> the Numeric and Numarray array packages into a single best-of-breed
> array package for Python.
>
> NumPy supports all the features of Numeric and Numarray with a healthy
> dose of it's own improved features.

So how come this support doesn't extend to making a numpy
version of NumTuT?

> It's time to start porting your applications to use NumPy as Numeric is
> no longer maintained and Numarray will only be maintained for a few more
> months.

Which would be a good reason to convert NumTut.

> Porting is not difficult especially using the compatibility layers
> numpy.oldnumeric and numpy.numarray and the alter_code1.py modules in
> those packages.

Ah, I see. I'm supposed to convert it myself.

So when I place my cursor over the link and it identifies the
link as "alter_code1.py" meaning it's a Python source file,
naturally I download it only to discover that it's not a source
code file but an .html file masquerading as a .py file.

So when I followow the link and see some stupid management
system, I'm completely bewildered. What the fuck am I supposed
to do with this? Oh, wait...I can download in other formats.

Only the "Plain Text" format isn't plain text. It strips off the web
page stuff but doesn't translate the codes such as < rendering
the alleged plain text un-runnable. Ok, I should have downloaded
"Original Format". Would it be too much trouble to explain all that?

Oh, and when you run alter_code1.py, it does not, in fact, alter
the code. After "altering", the NumTut files continue to complain
that there is no module named "Numeric". Pardon me, but wasn't
alter_code1.py supposed to fix that? I guess not. Of course, you
can guess what happened next. Manually changing "Numeric" to
"numpy" fixes the import problem but it still won't run, something
about "types" not being defined.

I give up. It looks like a complete waste of time.

> The full C-API of Numeric is supported as is the C-API
> of Numarray.
>
> More information is available at  http://numpy.scipy.org

Like the statement

"There is a module called convertcode.py in NumPy that
can make the transition to NumPy easier (it will automatically
perform the search-and-replace style changes that need to
be made to python code that uses Numeric to make it work
with NumPy)."

Which is a lie, there is no such module included in numpy.
Is alter_code1.py supposed to take its place? If so why hasn't
the Home Page been updated to reflect this?

> NumPy Developers

And you have the GALL to CHARGE for the documentation!