sys.platform documentation?

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Thu Aug 10 06:03:49 EDT 2006

Op 10-aug-2006, om 11:50 heeft Sybren Stüvel het volgende geschreven:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:46:03AM +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
>> So there probably isn't even any kind of list that we can find?
>> That's too bad. It's not a big loss to me, but I imagine that it's
>> kind of annoying if you really need to add OS-specific code. Maybe
>> we  need to request that documentation for it is implemented in the
>> official Python documentation once and for all. I guess that would
>> require e-mailing a lot of people (like via this list) and asking
>> them which operating system they're on and what their sys.platform
>> tells them?
>
> There is a limited (as in not infinite) number of platforms Python
> runs on, so it should be possible to get a list of all sys.platform
> names.

I guess that I could try and assemble some values and then submit
them to the Python documentation.

So here's the question of the day: what does your sys.platform tell
you? :-)

I'm on Mac OS X 10.4 and my sys.platform says 'darwin'.

> Another method would be to send you an email if the value of
> sys.platform doesn't exist in the dict yet. Then you can add it in
> newer versions. That also ensures the up-to-date-ness of the list.

I'll definitely do that as well. I'm also sure that OS-specific code
can also be found in online source code, so I'll see if I can find
some there as well.

Greets,
Michiel