Windows vs. Linux

Gerhard Fiedler gelists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:14:56 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-02 21:09:43, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

> Microsoft could provide an emulated environment for backward
> compatability, just like Apple did. Wouldn't know what that would cost,
> though.

Possibly. Rather than waiting for that, I think that languages that want a
degree of portability should simply provide a wrapper around this low level
system dependent stuff. There's no need to use system dependent path
separation characters in the language API.

>> And don't be fooled...  you may run a Linux system, but you'd pay
>> your share of that bill anyway.
>
> How's that?

Pretty much every production cost increase gets in the end paid by the
consumer. With some localized changes, you may be lucky and don't buy any
products that are affected, but with such a widespread change as this would
be, it is more likely that almost everybody is affected close to average.
With that is also mostly the pressure gone to not increase -- because so
many are affected that the few who are not happily increase the prices with
the others.

The only ones likely to make a cut for a short time are a number of Windows
consultants. But those probably would be mostly either people with some
resources. Probably neither is your case... :)

Gerhard