Windows vs. Linux

Gerhard Fiedler gelists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 17:04:47 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-02 17:38:54, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

> Gerhard Fiedler enlightened us with:
>>> Microsoft did *NOT* write DOS
>>
>> Well, they didn't write most of DOS 1.0. But it seems they did write
>> (or at least specify) most if not all of the rest up to DOS 6.22 or
>> so. Which is possibly considerable.
>
> Those are MS-DOS version numbers you're talking about.

Of course. The issue was that I wrote that "Microsoft wrote DOS on Xenix"
and Alex objected. I was of course wrong in that totality, but then, they
still wrote everything between DOS 1.0 and 6.22 on Xenix.

> For example, they had nothing to do with FreeDOS, which is also a DOS.

Yup, and a number of other DOSes like Novell DOS etc. Still all (or most?)
of these use the backslash :)

Gerhard