Windows vs. Linux

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Aug 2 11:52:52 EDT 2006

> | Not from my Windows XP command prompt it doesn't. Do you have
> | anything
> | strange installed on your system?
>
> FWIW:
>
> <dump>
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> c:\temp>cd \
>
> C:\>cd /windows/System32
>
> C:\windows\system32>
>
> </dump>

<dump>
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\temp>cd \

C:\>cd /windows/system32

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd /windows/system32
C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd \

C:\>cd /windows

C:\WINDOWS>cd /system32

C:\WINDOWS\system32> REM wtf?

</dump>

Nice to see consistancy at work.  Looks like leading slashes are
stripped and so it trys to find it relative to the current path.

Nothing like predictable, cross-platform implementations there.
[rolls eyes]

Thank goodness Python brings some brains to the table where
Windows/Dos is ::ehem:: seriously lacking.

-tkc