excel in unix?

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Fri Aug 11 00:55:33 EDT 2006

"linnorm at gmail.com" <linnorm at gmail.com> writes:

> s99999999s2003 at yahoo.com wrote:
> > hi
> > is it possible to create excel files using python in Unix env?
> > if so, what module should i use?
> > thanks
>
> Depending on the complexity of your data you might find the csv module
> useful.  It allows you to write comma separated value (.csv) files that
> Excel reads just fine.

We use the csv module a lot.  I've also investigated the old DIF and
SLK formats for slightly more functoinality.  But the coming
standards-based world, if you need more than csv, start writing to to
the OpenOffice.org formats, either with your own code or via PyUNO.
Then use OOo itself or a MS-sponsored ODF reader to translate to Excel
format.  This should be a maintainable approach over time (but a lot
more complex than just csv).

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture