cleaner way to write this try/except statement?

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 17:10:19 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> > The code to look at is the try statement in the NumbersValidator class,
> > just a few lines down. Is this a clean way to write it? i.e. is it okay
> > to have all those return statements? Is this a good use of try? Etc.
>
> I cleaned it up a little and did this, but of course this doesn't work.
> Is this the wrong way to create a function (not method) within a class?
>

> def Validate(self, parent):
>          text_ctrl = self.GetWindow()
>          text = text_ctrl.GetValue()
>
>          try:
>              if not text or int(text) <= 0:
>                  error_message()
>                  return False
>              else:
>                  return True
>          except ValueError:
>              error_message()
>              return False
>
>      @staticmethod
>      def error_message():
>          wx.MessageBox('Enter a valid time.', 'Invalid time entered',
>                        wx.OK | wx.ICON_ERROR)

Your indentation looks off.  Your error_message() function should be at
the same indentation as the rest of the body of the Validate() method
(i.e. same as the try statement, "text_ctrl = ..." statements.)

If that's not an artifact of posting it here then you'll need to
correct that.

Also, there's no need to declare the function a staticmethod, since it
isn't.

Other than that it looks ok to me, but I might have missed something.

Peace,
~Simon