Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 10:10:28 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Ben Sizer" <kylotan at gmail.com> writes:
> > Another perfectly good reason is that PHP pages are much simpler to
> > deploy than any given Python application server. Just add the code into
> > your HTML pages as required and you're done. Python could come close to
> > this if something like the Python Server Pages implementation in
> > mod_python was to become widely available and well known, but that
> > still requires overcoming the first problem.
>
> I didn't realize you could do shared hosting with mod_python, because
> of the lack of security barriers between Python objects (i.e. someone
> else's application could reach into yours).  You really need a
> separate interpreter per user.  A typical shared hosting place might
> support 1000's of users with ONE apache/php instance (running in a
> whole bunch of threads or processes, to be sure).

Ah yes, I hadn't considered that. Is this a Python limitation?
Py_Initialize() seems to initialise a global Python object which
obviously makes it awkward to share. Other languages allow you to
create multiple instances (eg. Lua has lua_newstate() which returns a
new Lua state) which would facilitate running multiple interpreters
without the new process overhead. A brief search implies that mod_perl
doesn't have the same problem as mod_python (but has other problems).
It would be a shame if Python is almost alone in having this issue.

--
Ben Sizer