streaming audio with standard modules?

Marc Shapiro mshapiro_42 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 17:17:14 EDT 2006

I am running Python 2.3 on Linux.

I am trying to write a program to simulate a hardware mixer to play
theatrical sound cues.  I need to be able to play multiple sound
channels at once, controlling volume by channel as well as globally.  I
also need to be able to pan a channel through left and right speakers.
I would prefer if the sound files could be ogg, mp3, or wav, and if they
could be streamed, instead of having to load each file completely before
playing it.

I have been using pygame.mixer and pygame.mixer.music, but pygame.mixer
is not streaming, and pygame.mixer.music has only a single channel.

Is there a way to do any reasonable amount of what I am looking for with
standard modules?  If not, is there a module(s) that I can download
somewhere that will do the trick?

Marc
mshapiro_42 at yahoo.com