libcurses.so & installing Python 2.4.3

dmulcahy dmulcahy at revenue.ie
Thu Aug 24 11:42:03 EDT 2006

Folks,

I am trying to build the binaries for Python 2.4.3 on a Sun E6900
running SPARC Solaris 9 and using gcc 3.4.2.

When the makefile tries to build the _curses extension it fails with a
symbol referencing error on "mvwgetnstr", which it appears should exist
in libcurses.so.  For some reason it seems this function does not exist
in the version of libcurses.so shipped with Solaris 9.

Will I find it in some other library on Solaris or do I need to
download a different version of libcurses.so?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Damien.