Using Python for my web site

Conrad nospan at nothanks.org
Tue Aug 1 20:04:07 EDT 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:12:56 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> On 2006-07-31 15:00:15, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>
>> In fact, the real question IMHO is: what would MySQL advantage over
>> PostgreSQL be ?-)
>
> A few years ago I did some research, and the result was that while
> PostgreSQL was claimed to have more features and a better design, the
> reports of database corruption seemed to have been more frequent than with
> MySQL. The usual reason given was that MySQL was more mature.
>
> I assume you don't agree... :)
>
> Gerhard

Maturity is an interesting word. The PostgreSQL pedigree
reaches back about thirty years, which in some peoples minds,
would constitute a degree of maturity. While I can't claim to
have done your extensive (and well documented) research, I can
say that I was a happy MySQL user a couple of years ago, using
it to quickly serve up fairly static content. Happy, that is,
until I put it into a more dynamic order entry/processing
environment. I started finding glitches - orphaned records -
one table totally corrupted. I found I was spending more and
more time coding to make sure the transactions completed, and
less time developing new code. I switched that client to
PostgreSQL and have had ZERO problems since. Many of the
"features" that MySQL is only now adding are playing catchup
to core data integrity values that PostgreSQL has had for much
longer, so it could be argued that in some areas, MySQL can
be said to be much less "mature".