More int and float attributes

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Aug 6 04:24:38 EDT 2006

Self:
>>D is a very nice language, that I hope to see more used. It is copying
>>lot of things from Python.

Tim Roberts:

>I don't see that.  It looks rather like an incremental improvement to C and
>C++ rather than a language influenced by Python.

Thank you for your comments. Mine was probably just an illusion. In D
most things are copied or come directly from C++. But I like the built
in string and associative array management, the string/array slicing,
the multiple return or typed multiple input, the nested functions, the
foreach with a bit of type inferencing, and some other things that I
like in Python too, but absent in C++ (GCC has some nested functions,
etc).
(But D lacks some of the suggestions in this article, link coming from
Paddy:
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt )

This is the first thing written about D into its site:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
>D is a systems programming language. Its focus is on combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern languages like Ruby and Python.<

This is a thread about related matters, with a comment from Walter, the
D autor:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/19839.html

Bye,
bearophile