Is there an obvious way to do this in python?

H J van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Thu Aug 3 08:10:16 EDT 2006

8<-----------------------------------------------
|> |You'll at least need bits of SQL (but SQLAlchemy may hide away most of
|> |it) and HTML (but there are some python packages that knows how to build
|> |HTML from declarative Python code).
|> |

|> that is good news - which packages?

http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/DivmodNevow
http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/DivmodNevow/Athena
http://starship.python.net/crew/friedrich/HTMLgen/html/main.html
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/366000
http://dustman.net/andy/python/HyperText/
http://pyhtmloo.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the references I will try to check them all out

8<--------------------------------------------------
|> If my original post was unclear I am sorry - the point I want answered, if
|> possible, is how to make the client code effectively updateable on the fly -
|> because the answer to this will influence the whole design of the rest of the
|> system...
|
|This is something I have been thinking about... IMHO what you want is
|not to "update client code on the fly", but to make the client mostly a
|kind of interpreter for what the server sends in. That is, the client
|code itself doesn't contain any application logic, it gets it from the
|server and execute it. This can certainly be done with Pyro.
|
|Now while this may be an interesting project, I'm not really sure it's
|worth the effort when we already have HTTP, HTML and AJAX...

You may be right and it might not be worth the trouble  - but what you mention
above is closer to the sort of thing I have in mind - it is essentially using
python to create a script language, and moving scripts around - but hey - python
is already a script language...

so if Pyro is for 'moving the scripts around' - Then that is what I must look at
very hard...

- thanks - Hendrik