having issues Installing Python 2.5b3 on Windows XP

Bucco phinsxiii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 12:51:59 EDT 2006

I installed python 2.5b3 on my windows XP sp2 box without any issues.
I can double click the python program, and idle comes up in the command
line window.  However when I run python from the command line program
cmd.exe, I get a pop-up window with the following error:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:020c IP:0115 OP:0f 00 00 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

If I run python from the command line with the full path,
C:\Python25\python, no problem.  I checked my environment variables and
they are pointing to the correct directories.  I am at a loss for waht
is causing the issue.  Active state python 2.4 worked from the command
line with no issues.  I know 2.5b3 is beta, but I would like to try and
get it running properly.  At the very least, I would like someone to

Please don't say reboot.  I have already tried that, same problem.  I
am going to try to install python 2.4 with the msi installer and see if
I have the same issue with that version.  If anyone else has any ideas
please help.

Thanks:)

SA