What would be the best way to run python client in the background

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 03:58:23 EDT 2006

[gel]

| I have written a python client server app [...]
| I want to run the client end of the app more or less invisibly
| (no console) on the XP clients when ever a users logs on.

You say "when[]ever a user logs on" but does this app
need to be run on a per-user basis? Or could it run all
the time -- ie as a Windows Service -- and do enough to
determine which user is logged on when it needed to?

The normal way is to run a Win32 service. There are several
posts on the subject around the Python and Python-Win32
mailing lists / newsgroups. The alternative is to set something
to run when any user logs in to run without a window. Again,
there are posts on the subject, including one I seem to remember
from Robin Becker, which tell how to do this kind of thing.

Let us know if you can't find anything which seems to
fit the bill.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk