sys.platform documentation?

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Thu Aug 10 04:27:31 EDT 2006

Hello everybody,

I was thinking about making a really insignificant addition to an
online system that I'm making using Python: namely, I would like it
to print the platform that it is running on in a human-readable
manner. I was thinking of doing it like this:

import sys

platforms = {
	'darwin': 'Darwin',
	'win32': 'Microsoft Windows',
	'freebsd6': 'FreeBSD 6.0'
}

def version():
	return '%s, running on %s.' % (NAME, platforms[sys.platform])

However, in order to populate the list of platforms, I need to know
which strings sys.platform can return. I haven't found any
documentation on this, but I guess that I'm not looking in the right
places! Do any of you know where I can find a list of possible return
values from sys.platform? I'll settle for a Python C source code
file, too, if it contains strings.

Regards,

Michiel