TNEF decoder

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 19:47:27 EDT 2006

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> "Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> 8<-----------------------------
>

> | A place I once worked at had a project that included some TNEF
> | handling.  There was one developer assigned fulltime to it.  He was the
> | one who sat at his desk hurling curses at his workstation at the top of
> | his lungs,  later he developed a pretty severe drinking problem.
>

> Should I take this to mean: " Don't go near TNEF because your underwear will
> become carnivorous and consume your genitalia? "
>
> - Hendrik

Hahahaha!

  In fairness, TNEF was only a small-ish part of what was slowly
driving this poor guy crazy in front of our eyes.  He was trying to
make some sort of server that integrated with the Evolution "groupware"
thingy.  I don't know much more than that because I stayed the hell
away from it.

FWIW, our tnef, um, "parser" or whatever it was started with one of the
brightest guys (in a shop of pretty bright guys, yours truly excepted
;P) spending *months* with outlook (or whatever) and a hex editor:
change one thing, export tnef, see what changed in the binary data,
repeat...

Remarkably, he did not descend to drinking.  I don't know the state of
his genitals though..

Peace,
~Simon