Windows vs. Linux

Gerhard Fiedler gelists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 13:47:59 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-01 12:31:01, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

> Ehm... replace that with "the latter with bonk on every OS except
> Microsoft Windows". Windows is the weird one in OS-land, because they
> are the only one that use the most widely used escape-character (the
> backslash) as path separator.

Is that really true? From what I know, it's more like this:

- Unix-type systems: '/'
- Windows-type systems: '\'
- Mac OS: ':'
- OpenVMS: '.'
- ...

Maybe someone else can fill in some of the missing OSes. It doesn't seem to
look like Windows is the odd man out; it rather seems that every type of OS
uses its own separator. (URLs probably use the slash because the internet
protocols have been developed largely on Unix-type systems for use with
Unix-type systems?)

Gerhard