"wxmsw26uh_vc.dll not found" when using wxAgg backend

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 10:35:24 EDT 2006

Hi Sam,

Sam wrote:
> I've installed matplotlib recently because I want to add graphing
> functionality to a GUI that i'm making.
Have you considered wxmpl? I'm leaning towards using it, " Painless
matplotlib embedding in wxPython" sounds good (and it even works). More
information and downloads at http://agni.phys.iit.edu/~kmcivor/wxmpl/

> - the following error box pops up: "This application has failed to
> start because wxmsw26uh_vc.dll was not found. Reinstalling the
> application may fix this problem."
Matplotlib mailing list should give you better answers on this, but
I'll try my best :)

I have wx-2.6-msw-ansi and my DLL is wxmsw26h_vc.dll, so it seems
wxmsw26Uh_vc.dll means the Unicode version. Matplotlib examples do work
here and including "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-" in the demo source causes
no problem.

Have you ever installed a Unicode version of wxPython? The file wx.pth
in Lib/site-packages/ should point to your default wx version (a single
line with the directory name), does it? The configuration file
matplotlibrc (in Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data\ and somewhere
in your profile) might have something weird causing this, worth a check
IMHO.

If these don't solve the problem, installing an older wxPython might
work around any version conflicts that could exist.

Hoping this helps,
Daniel