Absolute beginner - is this feasible?

lcazarre at gmail.com lcazarre at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 08:45:53 EDT 2006

I am by no means a serious programmer (which will become evident as you
read this very message), except that I use VBA almost daily to automate
Excel spreadsheets.

I do enjoy programming however and the only thing that prevented me
from learning a language other than VBA is the lack of a project. Until
today, I was not sure what I would do if I knew how to program in a
language such as Python.

I now feel the need to develop a small program for myself. I have a
free subscription to Factiva (www.factiva.com), which gives me online
access to virtually all newspapers, magazines, etc. using a normal
internet browser.

The bad thing is that I can only access the articles one by one. I wish
I could write a program that would:
- prompt me to choose a publication (let's say The Economist),
- find the latest publication,
- download automatically all the articles in that edition and finally
- combine and format the articles in a single Word document.

This way, I will be able to print the magazine and read it on my way to
the office.

Now my questions:
- is it legal? (I do have a subscription to Factiva. I do not intend to
distribute the printouts)
- If so, can I use Python to automate this task?

Thank you.