Best IDE for Python

Andre Meyer meyer at acm.org
Tue Aug 15 12:31:08 EDT 2006

PyDev is really nice. I use it a lot and it works great.

It's just a bit heavy and why should one need a Java IDE for Python
development ;-)

Another "issue" is the lack of integration with a UML tool (code generation
and reverse engineering), though an ArgoUML plugin is in the making (not for
eclipse).

btw What Web/XML plugins are you using with eclipse?

regards
Andre

On 15 Aug 2006 09:03:44 -0700, akameswaran at gmail.com <akameswaran at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've had a similar experience and tried about everything.  Personally -
> eclipse with PyDev has been the winner for me.  I also still do a bunch
> of Java coding - so there is an added benefit of one tool across
> languages.  The final thing I really like with eclipse is the svn
> plugins - making life very easy.  Also, if your doing web/xml and other
> stuff - there is a plugin for eclipse for it ;)  Not all the plugins
> work as seemlessly together (i abandon eclipse for the majority of
> plone/zope stuff - most of it isn't python - and setting up eclipse to
> be happy with the output of archgen has not been worth the bother - I'm
> sure it's possible)
>
> PyLint can kind of be a pain if your on a low powered box, but tweaking
> the settings (and I had to do a bit of tweaking) can alleviate the
> problems, but still let you reap the benefits.
>
> Anand
>
> Yu-Xi Lim wrote:
> > Michiel Sikma wrote:
> > > By FOS, do you mean FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)? I've never
> > > seen the acronym FOS used.
> >
> > Maybe he was trying for "Free Open Source IDE" without the
> > semi-redundant "Software"
> >
> > > I personally use Eclipse with PyDev.
> > > http://www.eclipse.org/
> > > http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Eclipse+PyDev has the advantage over emacs when it comes to big
> > projects, IMO. It has features like refactoring, better project
> > management, code coverage. emacs has the advantage of being faster and
> > smaller, and if all you need is a syntax-aware (smart indentation,
> > syntax highlighting) editor and integrated debugger, emacs is more than
> > enough.
> >
> > I've tried the other free IDEs like IDLE, SPE, eric3, TruStudio (for
> > Eclipse), Boa, Komodo, WingIDE. I have various issues with them,
> > including instability, poor automatic indentation, bad GUI (too many
> > subwindows or uncustomizable), costly, no refactoring, and no project
> > management.
> >
> > It's strangely ironic. I consider Eclipse to be a lousy Java IDE
> > especially compared to commercial offerings and yet that's what the
> > project started out as.
>
> --

Dr. Andre P. Meyer                        http://python.openspace.nl/meyer
TNO Defence, Security and Safety          http://www.tno.nl/
Delft Cooperation on Intelligent Systems  http://www.decis.nl/

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't
previously aware of. - Douglas Adams