Pywin32 Excel question

John Henry john106henry at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 22:57:28 EDT 2006

I posted the following message to the Pywin32 list but if anybody here
can help, it would be appreciated very much.

============================
Hi list,

I have a need to copy 3 rows of data from the top of my Excel
spreadsheet to another location.  I would have throught that this
should be very straightforward since I've done a fair amount of
Excel/Python programming.  Unforturnately, I am stuck on this one.

The VB Macro says I need to:

    Range("1:1,2:2,3:3").Select
    Range("A3").Activate
    Selection.Copy
    Rows("20:20").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

So, I figure the Python code would be something like:

<xlApp determined already>
1) xlSheet=xlApp.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet
2) xlSel=xlSheet.Range("1:1,2:2,3:3").Select()
3) #xlSel=xlSheet.Range("A3").Activate()
4) xlSel.Copy()
5) xlSheet.Rows("20:20").Select()
6) xlSheet.Paste()

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  After line 2, xlSel becomes "True" -
not a "Selection" and so the code fails at line 4).  I am not sure why
I have to do the "Activate" on line 3 but it didn't matter, the code
still fails at line 4.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,