python-dev and setting up setting up f2py on Windows XP

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Aug 16 19:55:55 EDT 2006

Sile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
> 2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
> the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
> header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
> can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
> packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
> automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
> my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
> does anyone know where I can find it???
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated.

The concept of "python-dev package" is a Debian concept which doesn't
apply to Windows. The standard installation on Windows provides the
header and library files that you need for interfacing with C.

Don't put things where your C compiler can find them; do a standard
no-frills install of Python2.4 using the .msi installer and tell your C
compiler where the goodies are.

E.g. using the MinGW32 gcc, you'd need things like:

gcc -I\python24\include  -lpython24 -L\python24\libs
[first is "i".upper(), second is "L".lower()]

Which C compiler are you using?

You will need to add "C:\Python24" to the path so that you can invoke
python easily; that will also enable anything else finding python24.dll
if you do a "me only" install of Python.

So give that a whirl and if you have any dramas, come back with
questions ...

HTH,
John