Python and STL efficiency

Tim N. van der Leeuw tim.leeuwvander at nl.unisys.com
Tue Aug 22 05:26:05 EDT 2006

Ray wrote:
> Tim N. van der Leeuw wrote:
> > > In which case, Licheng, you should try using the /GF switch. This will
> > > tell Microsoft C++ compiler to pool identical string literals together.
> > >

> > > :)
> >
> > The code still creates a new string - instance each time it tries to
> > append a const char* to the vector<string> ...
>
> Yeah, you're right... I've been programming Java too long :)

Took me a while to see that too! Have been programming too much Java /
Python as well. Anyways, when changing the Python version so that it
adds 40.000 unique strings to the list (and proving that there are
indeed 40.000 unique ids in the list, by making a set of all id()s in
the list and taking the len() of that set), it still takes at most a
second. I cannot test the speed of the c++ version on my computer, so
nothing scientific here.

I'm curious though, if on the OP's machine the slowed-down Python
version is still faster than the C++ version.

Cheers,

--Tim