callable to disappear?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 23 18:25:11 EDT 2006

"faulkner" <faulkner612 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1156357324.838315.234500 at i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> what's wrong with hasattr(obj, '__call__')?

I have the impression that this is not currently true for all callables .
If not, this may be improved in the future.

>> Antoon Pardon
>> Is there a chance this will be reconsidered?

The items in PEP 3100 have different levels of certainly.  Some may even
get changed after experience with the alpha versions.  Guido is allowing a
year from first alpha (early 2007?) to final release, instead of the
current 4-5 months.

There has been recent discussion since of iscallable and some other
isxxxx()s.  The points you mentioned were raised and considered.  I don't
remember if there was a decision for the present.

Two of the bigger negatives for 'iscallable':
1. You cannot know for sure until you call and get a return.
2. It does not say if the candidate is callable with any particular number
or set of parameters.

Terry Jan Reedy