text editor suggestion?

Sat Aug 19 17:52:39 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> John Salerno enlightened us with:
>> I'd really like to learn vim, but I spent days just trying to figure
>> out how to get the syntax highlighting and indentation working,
>> where these settings are and how to edit them
>
> Stop being a man and just ask for directions :)

Oh don't worry, I have no shame. I was asking a ton of questions, yet I
still couldn't figure it out.

>> It just feels so insurmountable that I can't even start working with
>> it yet because I don't know how to tailor the settings.
>
> "vim ~/.vimrc" is all you need on any system but Windows. There IIRC
> you need to edit C:\Program Files\VIM\_vimrc.

But what about customizing syntax coloring? Is this also in the same
file? I've noticed a separate file called python.vim (in Windows, this
file exists in a 'syntax' folder, and also another file of the same name
in an 'indent' folder, so I'm *still* confused about which files are
used for which settings.