sqlite3 or mysqldb?

Thu Aug 17 11:23:06 EDT 2006

I did a little experimentation with MySQL, and yesterday I was reading
up on SQLite. Since they both use the SQL language, does this mean that
the queries you write will be the same for both modules? I'm sure there
are slight differences for how you connect to DBs, but since they both
use the same DB API 2.0, and both use SQL, I was wondering how easily
you could 'switch' them out if you needed to go from one to the other.

(I know there are slight differences between the two in terms of SQL
commands understood, but I'm mainly referring to the most important
things, like simply accessing and changing DB information.)

I was using mysqldb just because MySQL seems to be a pretty big
standard, but now that sqlite3 is coming with Python 2.5, I might
switch, since it seems to be easier to use.

(And again, I'm such an amateur programmer that really I'm using these
things just to learn them. It's not like I control my company's entire
employee records or anything.)   :)

Thanks.